15 Small property from Kerschlach
House name "Beim Hirten"
Presentation time: 1943
This small property was the first to be reconstructed at the museum in combination with outbuildings. Most of the furnishings are in their original form. The name of the small property “Beim Hirten” is first mentioned in the sources in 1760. The housing and living conditions in the single-storey, single-roof farmhouse were very simple and remained so until the final owner moved out in 1962.
Did you know?
Both world wars influenced life at the Hirten house. Heir to the farm Georg Dischner Jr. was killed in action in 1915 at the age of 25. His widow Serafine Graf, who had a daughter from a previous marriage, subsequently managed the farm with her father-in-law. When he became unable to work a decade later, she had to perform the housework and work in the fields alone.
The property was managed by the women on their own for almost 35 years. Although Serafine’s daughter Kreszentia married in 1939, her husband Johann Käs was killed in action in Russia four years later. It was then Kreszentia who maintained the 6.5 hectares of land while her mother performed the housework. In total, they looked after four cows, one calf, one ox, one pig and hens.