42 Small property from Straß
House name "Weberhäusl"
Constructed: 1597, often rebuild
Presentation time: middle of 20th century
When the building was taken on by the Open Air Museum in 1991, it had seen no essential structural change for approximately 90 years. The furnishings had barely been modernised since then, either, and the well and baking house were still in place. This rare integrity means that the Weber house is a special historical record.
Did you know?
The Weber house is largely fitted out in wood, with the only stonework to be found around the hearth and in the stable. The building structure seems very inconsistent, overall, which is a result of numerous alterations. A completely new building was unaffordable, which is why repeated additions were made to the existing building, with older parts sometimes being recycled.
The two outbuildings taken on by the Open Air Museum – the baking house and the well – are a great rarity. The detached baking house was built in 1812 as a wooden log construction, with the oven bricked into the back. The lavatory built onto the baking house is unusual. A well shaft with a depth of approximately nine metres was located just five metres away from the lavatory, in Straß, bricked up with unhewn stones.