The lack of space was a constant at the small, one-storey property «Beim Hirten» (15). As it was not possible to extend the main building, farm owner Georg Dischner Sr. built a barn in 1914 which had to be extended again a few years later (1922). It was used to store hay and straw.
District: Rosenheim Municipality: Pfaffing Year of Construction: 1788 Type of Building:
This barn is a timber-framed construction with «Bundwerk» structure on the upper floor. The dense arrangement of the cross beams was intended more as an adornment and status symbol than a structural necessity. The building is used at the Open Air Museum as a depot and is therefore not accessible to the public.
District: Rosenheim Municipality: Albaching Year of Construction: 1841 Type of Building:
Detached, log-assembly haybarns can be found in the Alps and Scandinavia. The three Werdenfels haybarns on display at the museum once belonged to various properties in Partenkirchen, Mittenwald and Wamberg.
The Starkerer barn is superficially one of the most beautiful barns in Upper Bavaria. The façade (south side and east pediment) are decorated with opulent Bundwerk and imaginative carvings. The barn's four large doors are also richly designed. As some conclusive remains of the original ornamental painting had been preserved, it was possible to reconstruct the original colours.